[Account Owner] Quickbooks Online (using Business Importer)
Our Quickbooks Online integration with Business Importer gives you a free B-importer account! Ideal for advisors serving about 15 or more clients, the integration is a fantastic way to improve efficiency and help you spend less time in bookkeeping tasks and more time in what you love -- helping people with their financial planning!
If you decide to take advantage of the B-importer integration, you will no longer have to manually enter invoices and sales receipts into Quickbooks Online. Instead you can accurately import the data for gross payments, meaning the data on your books will match your invoices!
The fees associated with each transaction will also be imported, providing you with a complete record of the gross payment amount, the fees, and the net amount.
Let's get started!
Set up your Business Importer account at Firm Settings > Integrations. Click Connect to begin the registration process for your free account:
On the sign up page, b-importer will automatically pull in your name (which is editable) and your AdvicePay account email (which is not editable). When setting and confirming your own password, b-importer will require that it is 8-12 characters long and it contains at least one number, one alphabetic character, and one special character (@#!$%^&+=).
Once you register, you will receive an email from Business Importer asking you to confirm your account. Follow the link you receive to finalize the account and log in!
Income accounts track the source of your company's income while expense accounts track what your company is spending. Unlike balance sheet accounts, income and expense accounts do not have their own registers.
- Income/ Other Income
- Expense/ Other Expense
Workaround to Capture Fees
- 1. Log into Quickbooks Online
- 2. Click on the gear icon in upper right of screen
- 3. Click on Company Settings
- 4. Click on Sales
- 5. Turn on Discounts
- a. Click on Pencil
- b. Check Discounts to turn on
- c. Save
- 6. Go to Chart of Account
- a. Go to Bookkeeping and select Chart of accounts
- b. Select New
- c. Select the appropriate account type from the Account Type dropdown menu
- d. Select the appropriate Detail Type from the dropdown menu
- e. Fill in all remaining fields and select Save and Close
Your QuickBooks account is now ready for using the software to bring in AdvicePay Income and related Merchant Fees!
Note: This is a one-time set up. 👍 If it's helpful, here is a great Quickbooks article with step by step instructions!
Log in to AdvicePay.
- 1. Download your Transactions Reports, adjusting the dates for the time period you need to upload.
- 2. Add two columns. One for the Product/Service you are billing for and one for the deposit account (always use Undeposited Funds). These have to match your spelling in QB exactly.
- 3. Save as: .CSV file
Open Business Importer.
- 1. Click on Import
- 2. Upload the saved transaction file
- 3. Entity to import: Sales Receipts
- 4. Match to Spreadsheet
- a. Customer to Client Name
- b. Product Name to Product/Service
- c. Sale Receipt # to AdvicePay Invoice #
- d. Deposit to – Undeposited Funds
- e. Amount to Gross Amount
- f. Description to Invoice Description
- g. Discount to Fee
- h. Sales Receipt Date to Paid Date
- 5. Click Next
- 6. Preview
- 7. Click Start Import
Looking for help using B-importer to integrate with Xero instead? We don't currently offer support for setting up your Xero integration, however we would love to help point you to some additional resources!
- Video: Import Transactions from Excel to Xero
- Article: How to Import Items into Xero with Business Importer
B-Importer also works with Sage Business Cloud Accounting (Sage One) and MYOB. It is not available for Sage Intacct.